The purpose of these terms is to set forth various conditions between GE Healthcare Japan Corporation (hereinafter referred to as "GE") and any user who uses this website (hereinafter referred to "User") with respect to the use of services in the Life Sciences Academy, or a website offering total solutions for life science researchers offered by GE (hereinafter referred to as the "Website") as set forth in Article 2.
2. Scope and Conditions of Provision of Services
- GE shall provide various contents on the Website and services concomitant to the Website including delivery of news via e-mails from GE, hereinafter referred to as "Services", and User shall file an application for, and use the Services pursuant to these terms.
- In addition to these terms, GE shall post important conditions with respect to the details of the Services on the Website ("Users' Guide"). These conditions shall constitute part of these terms, and User shall be deemed to have agreed to these conditions when s/he files an application for the Services.
- The Website and Services may be temporarily suspended without prior notice if they fall under any of the following items. In such a case, a situation may occur whereby User cannot use the Services or loses part of his/her information.
- The Website and contents of Services have been changed, etc.;
- Unexpected system troubles, such as viral infection, have occurred;
- Maintenance for the Website and Services, such as system backup, maintenance and upgrades, including those of the communications environment, have been performed; or
- GE has deemed the case necessary to ensure the proper operation of the Website.
- With respect to the operation of the Website and provision of Services, GE shall not assume any liability, not only for a breach and delay of obligations under these terms but also for damages, etc. incurred by User's system that directly resulted from a cause unable to be reasonably attributed to GE, such as natural disaster, war, civil war, cyber-terrorism, labor dispute, fire, power failure, and emergency measure by an administrative authority.
- GE shall not guarantee the accuracy, usefulness or integrity of the Website and Services. To the extent permitted by law, GE excludes all warranties.
- GE may unconditionally delete any posting or other similar acts to the system of the Website by User or discontinue the functions of the said system if GE finds the said posting to be inappropriate in light of these terms and the purpose of the operation of the Website and Services.
- GE may change the contents of the Website and Services at any time if necessary without prior notice to User.
- User shall give prior consent to GE's provision of services and notices, etc. with respect to the Website in a scope and method as deemed to be most appropriate by GE at that time upon occurrence of any emergency case such as a shutdown of the Website.
- User may be subject to such restrictions as unavailability of certain Services according to his/her conditions set forth when s/he filed an application for the Services on the Website.
- The Website may offer links to other websites operated by the third parties for the purpose of introducing information and services to User. However, GE shall take no liability for any contents and services of the linked websites or collection of information from such websites.
3. Filing Applications for Services
If GE judges that User (including potential user) falls or is threatened to fall under any of the following items, it may decline User's application or terminate the application unconditionally even after the application has been filed:
- User has filed the application for the Services with false information;
- User has violated these terms in the past, or all or part of User's user registration for the Website has been cancelled in the past;
- GE judges that User is interfering or is threatening to interfere with the normal operation of the Website by an act that is in conflict with acceptable social standards;
- User lacks legal capacity;
- Using the User's registered information, making contact with the User is impossible or extremely difficult for GE; or
- GE deems the User's act inappropriate in light of the purpose of these terms.
4. User IDs and Passwords
- User is required to complete user registration before using Services on the Website as provided in "2. Scope and Conditions of Provision of Services" of these terms. The registered User shall use a "E-mail address" and a "Password" that are set at the time of registration. As a rule, only one set of E-mail address and Password may be provided to User.
- User shall manage and use his/her own E-mail address and Password at his/her own risk. GE shall certify User by his/her E-mail address and Password and give permission to use the Services. GE shall regard a user of the Services of the Website who enters with his/her E-mail address and Password as the relevant User.
- User may not have any third party use, rent or transfer a device that is kept ready for use of the Services of the Website as set forth in Article 2 by entering the User's E-mail address and Password, or change the name of ownership of his/her website membership to any third party. Also, if the User's device is used by any third party due to insufficient management of the said device, the User shall take responsibility for the consequences of the third-party use.
- User shall agree that when s/he has become aware of any theft or use of his/her E-mail address and Password by a third party, s/he shall immediately give notice of the fact to GE by way of an inquiry form available on the Website and follow GE's instructions if such instructions are ever given. In the preceding case, GE shall not take responsibility for any loss or disadvantage incurred by the User.
- If User has forgotten his/her own E-mail address and Password, s/he must communicate with GE in writing and follow its instructions. In such a case, GE may request submission of the User's information.
- When there occurs any change in the information of User for our registered Website membership, User shall change the information by himself/herself on a website screen that allows him/her to change the contents of his/her registration as a website member. GE shall not take responsibility for any non-receipt of e-mails and mailed goods or any other damage and disadvantage that User may suffer due to his/her failure to change the said information.
- GE may delete User's information that has been registered using an invalid e-mail address. The information in the preceding case shall include the information on the applicant himself/herself that has been registered at the time of application (including his/her E-mail address and Password) as well as the information that is generated during his/her participation in GE seminars, such as his/her history of participation in the seminars and information on the results of his/her performance in the seminars.
5. Prohibited Acts
- When User uses the Website and Services, s/he shall be prohibited from performing any of the acts in the following items for whatever reason:
- An act that infringes or threatens to infringe a copyright or any other right of GE, other Users or any third party;
- An act that insults, defames or infringes the privacy of GE, other Users or any third party, or an act that threatens to insult, defame or infringe the said privacy;
- An act that prevents the normal operation of providing Services of the Website or an act that harasses other Users or any third party;
- An act of receiving the Services by taking advantage of the status of other Users;
- An act of sabotage against the system of the Website such as the use of harmful programs containing a computer virus;
- A guilty act or an act that encourages or threatens to encourage others' criminal acts;
- A discriminatory act or an act that leads to discrimination;
- An act that offends or is threatened to offend against acceptable social standards;
- A political activity or an election campaign;
- An activity for a specific idea, creed or religion;
- Any commercial activity;
- An act of correcting, altering, reproducing, accumulating, deleting all or part of the system, software or Services of the Website;
- An act of integrating the Website and Services into the User's commercial activities without GE's permission; or
- An act that is set forth in these terms as a prohibited act, or any other act that is deemed inappropriate by GE;
- In the case of an act that violates any of the terms provided above, GE may unconditionally stop all or part of the Services to the relevant User, and additionally, if there occurs any compensation for damages, defamation or other claim from a third party, the User shall resolve the case under the responsibility of, and at the expense of the User.
6. Change of These Terms and Notice of Such a Change
- GE may change these terms and the names, services and other matters with respect to the Website at any time if necessary. If the User do not agree to them, the User should discontines your use of the Services.
- In principle, notice of matters concerning the Services of the Website and changes of such Services to Users shall be regarded as having been given if GE posts such matters and changes on the website of the Website. The content of the said change that is made pursuant to the said notice shall constitute part of these terms.
- Even if any doubt arises on the part of User as to a matter of which s/he has been given notice pursuant the way described above, failure to communicate such a doubt to GE shall be considered as s/he having agreed to the matter.
7. Termination of Operation of the Website
In principle, GE may terminate the operation of the Website by giving notice to User three months prior to the said termination in accordance with the method of giving general notices as set forth in Clause 6.
8. Personal Information
- GE’s Data Use Policy explains how GE treat User’s personal data when User uses the Services. By using the Services, User agrees that GE can use such data in accordance with GE’s Data Use Policy.
- If User resides outside of Japan, User consents to having the User’s personal data transferred to and processed in Japan.
- If User discloses his/her personal information in the system of the Website, etc. when s/he uses the Services of the Website, GE shall not take responsibility for any disadvantage or damage that may be incurred by User due to such a disclosure.
- The contact for the handling of personal information shall be set forth in the Website.
9. Intellectual Property Rights
- Copyrights and other intellectual property rights concerning the Website and Services shall be owned by GE. User may not disclose, reuse, reproduce, distribute, sell or transfer GE's intellectual properties to a third party without obtaining permission from GE. If GE incurs any damage due to the preceding act by User, GE may have the right to make a claim against User.
- Copyrights and other intellectual property rights, including, without limitation, software, trademarks, logos and manuals concerning the Website and Services shall belong to GE or licensors of GE. Therefore, User may not disclose, reuse, reproduce, distribute, sell or transfer such properties to a third party without permission. If GE or a licensor of GE incurs any damage due to the preceding act by User, it may have the right to make a claim against User for compensation.
- User shall only have the right to use the documents, illustrations, statistical data, software and other materials provided in the Website and Services for his/her own learning and acquisition of knowledge and techniques and shall not reprint, distribute, sell or transfer such materials without obtaining permission from GE. If GE incurs any damage due to the preceding act by User, GE may have the right to make a claim against User.
- In a case where a conflict arises out of any document, written content or other factor uploaded in the system of the Website by the seminar participant and infringes intellectual property rights of a third party, the relevant User shall solve the case under the responsibility of, and at the expense of the User. When User uses the work or other similar property of a third party, User is required to obtain prior consent of the owner of the said work.
GE may entrust all or part of the services concerning the operation of the Website to a third party at its own expense and under its own responsibility, if necessary.
- To the extent permitted by law, GE shall not be liable for any direct or indirect disadvantage or damage (including lost profits, revenues, or data) resulting from User's use of the Services of the Website.
- In some countries, User might have legal rights as a consumer. Nothink in these terms or any additional terms limits any consumer legal rights which may not be waived by contract.
These terms shall be governed by the laws of Japan, excluding Japan’s choice of law rules. Additionally, the Tokyo District Court of Japan shall have exclusive primary jurisdiction with respect to any dispute relating to these terms.